Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Honey Mustard Tofu

Honey Mustard Tofu


History: I have been on a quest to find recipes that are easy and taste very good. I serve this recipe with broccoli and rice. I have also served it with stir fry vegetables and rice. This recipe is one of my oldest daughter's favorites. I am placing it in both girls' family cookbooks even though my youngest daughter is a meat and potato kid. It is their New Year 2006 recipe.

Ingredients:

3-6 tablespoons butter
1 pound firm tofu, drained, and sliced into ¼ inch slices
2 cups whole wheat flour (can also use white flour)
1 cup water
¼ cup dry white wine (If I am making it for people who do not drink I just increase the water, the taste is better with the wine . . . imagine that)
2 cubes vegetable bouillon (I use fake chicken bouillon)
4 tablespoons prepared mustard
¼ cup honey
Directions:
  1. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat.(I have to keep adding butter to the pan so I add a tablespoon at a time so everything gets buttered)
  2. Dredge tofu slices in flour and place in hot butter.
  3. Brown slightly, then turn over and brown the other side.
  4. Depending on the size of your pan you may have to take out those pieces that are already cooked and place them on a plate while you complete the browning of the rest of the tofu.
  5. When all the tofu is cooked, place it back into the original pan.
  6. Add the water wine and bouillon cubes to the tofu and simmer until the bouillon is completely dissolved.
  7. Stir in mustard and honey, and simmer until it is thickened.
Buon Appetito!

No comments: