Saturday, July 21, 2012

Mint Banana Bread

History: I have had this recipe a very long time. I have struggled with it because I am always trying to do something like put whole wheat flour, add coconut, or add chocolate. When I do those things I find that it is mushy in the middle. Today I followed the recipe. I should have cooked it about 5 minutes less, but it is extra good and cooked all the way through.



Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract (I used mint)
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons butter softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
Instructions:
  1. In a large bowl or food processor, mash bananas well. 
  2. Add extract, honey, butter, sugar, and eggs. 
  3. Beat or process for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Sift together the dry ingredients and fold gently into banana mixture. 
  5. Pour into a well-greased 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
  6. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
  7. Do not over bake
  8. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
  9. Freezes well
Note that sometimes a happy accident occurs when you are cooking. In my hurry to soften the butter, I nuked it to long. I started over with new butter, but did not want to waste my liquid butter.  I stuck it back in the fridge in the cup and when the bread was cooked I added 3 tablespoons of honey to the butter and added it to the warm banana bread. 

That is what I call a very happy accident.

Sicilian

Buon Appetito

No comments: