Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sicilian Alabama Firecrackers


Sicilian's Alabama Fire Crackers

History: Someone gave me a tin with these crackers in them for Christmas. I wanted to find out how you make them so I started Googling spicy crackers and found this blog. I have been experimenting with this recipe and have come up with my lower fat version.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup oil (I use canola because I have it, but will do it with olive oil when I have used it all up)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (don't use garlic salt - did that to salty)
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( I never put this in - it is plenty hot without it)
  • 2 envelopes ranch dressing ( I've used italian and I've used off brands. You'll have to decide what is the favorite. I like the italian and the brand seems better than the off brand)
  • 1-3 tablespoons crushed red pepper (Here is where you need to use your discretion. I have tried it with the least and the most. For our tastes 2 tablespoons is enough.)
  • 16.5 ounces saltine crackers (Here is what I've found through a lot of experimentation. Buy low fat crackers because it seems that the seasonings stick to it better. I have tried buttery crackers, whole grain crackers, but have found for our family the crackers that are loved the most are soup crackers.) You can drop them soup crackers are 10 ozs so I use two packs)
Directions:
I mix the oil and spices up in a cup and get them all mixed together. Then I pour them over the crackers and rub them around it. You can use a zip lock or a big bowl that is air tight to do this. Sometime later in the day I shake them around or flip them if they are in the bag to get the oil all over the crackers. 

These need to sit over night and they last a long time as long as they are in an air tight container.

Ciao

Sicilian

Buon Appetito

No comments: